* For more information, or to reserve a specific date, please contact the parish office at 314-726-1221.
Read the below “Guidelines and Policies for Weddings in St. Joseph Church,” carefully before making a final decision and confirming your wedding date.
Thank you for considering Saint Joseph Church as the location for the celebration of your upcoming marriage. Saint Joseph Church is a historic church in the heart of Clayton. Your religious ceremony, celebrating the beginning of your marriage, is a revelatory moment in your life and in the lives of all those present. It reveals to you, your guests and the entire world where God has chosen to dwell. Our Scripture says, “God is Love”. By your being in love, God dwells with you. That is why we speak of marriage as a Sacrament; we believe that the love that two baptized Christians share in marriage becomes a sign to all whom you will meet of the closeness, the love and the wonder of the presence of God.
We at Saint Joseph Parish look forward to the opportunity to help you during this special time. We want to assist as you prepare for one of the most wonderful experiences of human life—celebrating your love in marriage and God’s presence in your lives. The following policies, established and approved by the Pastor, are to be strictly adhered to during all wedding ceremonies taking place in Saint Joseph Church.
– St. Joseph Parish Family
PRELIMINARY PREPARATION INFORMATION
* The Bishops of Missouri have implemented a common marriage policy. The priest or deacon who will witness your marriage will guide you through this policy.
1) To receive the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony, Couples are to begin marriage preparation at least six months in advance of the anticipated wedding date. This is a Saint Louis Archdiocesan policy. Couples are required to take a FOCCUS test and complete a Pre-Nuptial Inquiry.
2) Couples are also required to attend a Marriage Preparation Program and a Natural Family Planning Class approved by the Archdiocese. Information about such programs can be obtained from the Archdiocesan Family Life Office at 314-792-7182 or go to www.archstl.org/laityandfamilylife/.
3) If you are not a registered-member (we encourage registering!) of St. Joseph – Clayton you will need to make arrangements with a priest or deacon to preside at the wedding liturgy. This priest or deacon must be in good standing in this Archdiocese and have proper ecclesiastical faculties. Refrain from further arrangements before contacting a priest. The priest or deacon who will preside at the wedding liturgy must be willing to complete the Pre-Nuptial inquiry, obtaining all dispensations, and documents needed. This priest or deacon must also agree to complete all marriage preparations with the couple required by the Archdiocese of Saint Louis.
4) Contact your priest or deacon for confirmation that he will assume responsibility for your marriage preparation, rehearsal, and wedding. Once you have this assurance you may schedule your wedding at St. Joseph Church. A form “For Officiating Priest/Deacon” which he will sign and return, will be mailed directly to him.
5) The Nuptial Mass may be celebrated as part of the Liturgy of Matrimony only if both the bride and the groom are practicing Roman Catholics. Special permission must be obtained for a Mass to be celebrated at a wedding between a Catholic and a baptized non-Catholic.
If both the bride and groom are practicing Catholics the Liturgy of Matrimony is preferably celebrated within a Nuptial Mass. However, if one of the parties is not Catholic and also not baptized, the marriage ceremony cannot be celebrated within a Mass.
1) Church Documents Required by the Archdiocese of Saint Louis and St. Joseph:
- The Pre-Nuptial Inquiry
- Premarital Inventory (FOCCUS)
- Marriage Preparation Seminars (Weekend for the Engaged; Pre-Cana Classes)
- Natural Family Planning Class
- Permission letters from home parish priest, if not a member of St. Joseph (form available from St. Joseph on request)
- Proper Dispensations if needed
- Baptismal Certificates – with proper notations, dated within six months of your marriage.
These documents are to be given to your officiant, He is to see that these documents are in St. Joseph Church Office not less than one month prior to the wedding date.
2) Civil License
The couple must obtain a Marriage License from the State of Missouri, following the laws of the State. It is your responsibility to bring this license to your wedding rehearsal and present it to the Priest /Deacon who will be presiding at your Wedding Liturgy.
The suggested offering for a Parishioner is $300
A parishioner is one who has been attending Saint Joseph Parish as a registered parishioner, receiving the weekly donation envelopes and contributing for at least 6 months prior to the date of the wedding.
The offering for the Church does not include an honorarium for the Priest. The fee for the wedding coordinator who assists at the rehearsal and the wedding is $50. The gift for each altar server (when provided by Saint Joseph Parish) is $25. These amounts should be in cash and placed in envelopes and should accompany your offering to the church. If you are providing your own altar servers you can give a gift to them directly.
The suggested offering for an immediate family member of a Parishioner (child) is $300
The fee for a Non-Parishioner is $800
The fee for the Church does not include an honorarium for the Priest. The fee for the wedding coordinator who assists at the rehearsal and the wedding is $50. The gift for each altar server (when provided by Saint Joseph Parish) is $25. These amounts should be in cash and placed in envelopes and should accompany your payment to the church. If you are providing your own altar servers you can give a gift to them directly.
A wedding date will not be confirmed until payment in full is received.
If you cancel your wedding at any time, half of the church fee will be refunded, and the entire amount for the wedding coordinator and altar servers will be returned to you.